Sunday, November 6, 2011

Ruts: A Poem by Mark Wright (copyright 2011)

 Ruts

I never sit in the old rocking chair
in the corner of my master bedroom.
The wooden seat (where I’m told Mom rocked me as a baby)
is rigid and painted a semi-glossy black.
The back support is composed of narrow spindles
like the spokes of a wheel that won’t turn.
The rails have dug
semi-permanent ruts
into the mauve carpet.
And the chair gives off something
of a moldy musk on rainy mornings
when the damp air seeps in from around the patio door.

I do find the rocker is a suitable place
for stacking laundry.
I pull clean clothes from the dryer and toss them
on the rocking chair.
I wait until it’s piled high before I decide
it’s time to fold the heap of clothes.
When the floor gets cluttered,
I often set a magazine, playbill or football program
on the chair
for a short while
before discarding
the mostly-unread items in the trash.

After college, I furnished my first apartment
with all the things Dad and his new wife said they didn’t need.
Their charitable contributions included
(among other things)
the rocking chair
and a box filled with old photo albums
chronicling my parents’ wedding and the years before
and just after my birth.
The box collects dust in a closet
and conceals a Polaroid of Mom struggling
to pry a Frisbee from the taut jaws of a black lab
that died in 1987.
I try to keep the chair looking presentable (for the rare visitor)
by wiping it down
with a wet rag now and then.
But I cannot completely erase
the thin ring of dust around each narrow spindle.

-- Mark Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment